Agriculture in Nigeria faces many challenges such as disease and pest infestation, poor soil preparation, use of unviable seeds, and poor herbicide and pesticide usage to say the least. This leads to poor crop yield and environmental pollution due to the incorrect use of chemicals. The field of Artificial Intelligence with its rigorous learning capabilities has become a key technique for solving different agriculture-related problems. This paper addresses the application of Artificial Intelligence to different Agricultural sub-domains and, the limitations the average Nigerian farmer will face when adopting some of these methods.
Author: Osadebe, Chijioke Akaolisa
Supervising Lecturer: Engr Dr E. Anoliefo
Keywords: Artificial Intelligence, Transformation, Nigerian Agricultural Sector
6 thoughts on “NESTEC 2022 PAPER: How Artificial Intelligence Could Transform the Nigerian Agricultural Sector”
You tried with these your research work, indeed AI in agriculture will make more yield on the field..
But their is something that’s not clear here, is the AI in agriculture economical?.
Because we are in a country where agriculture is take lightly by the government and most of the farmers are poor people.
Now in term of efficiency adopting AI is it more efficient?
Yes, Artificial Intelligence technique will and always will be more efficient
One of the tasks that usually takes a lot of energy from farmers is weed control. The use of AI will go a long way to favour farmers as you have addressed it.
Rural areas in Nigeria has a great percentage of farmers residing in them. Is there opportunities for these farmers to benefit from the implementation of AI?
1. You reviewed the likely problems in adopting AI by farmers in Nigeria, what are the ways to surmount those challenges?
2. One of the most challenging problems of AI is the overfitting that occurs during model training. What are the ways to handle overfitting problems?
OSADEBE CHOJIOKE AKAOLISA
1. How did you use machine learning to enhance Agriculture Product and Pest Control
2. Explain how the physical equipment and the software work in achieving this
Neither a block diagram nor flowchart is presented in your article to show steps and how the system would function, why?. Explain
2. Common challenges being experienced in AI include: Insufficient Or Low-Quality Data, Outdated Infrastructure, and Integration Into Existing Systems, How do you intend to address these challenges in your system?