Home > Civil > Eight Feared Dead In Building Collapse

Eight Feared Dead In Building Collapse

As many as eight people might have died in the southern French city of Marseille in two building collapses, officials said Tuesday after the first body was pulled out from the wreckage.

Rescuers worked throughout the night to look for victims in the rubble of two dilapidated apartment blocks which collapsed suddenly on Monday morning not far from the centre of the Mediterranean port city.

There are between five to eight people missing, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said late Monday, with authorities trying to trace five residents and three other people who had been invited to the buildings.

READ ALSO:South-West govs ask FG to link Apapa port with railway

“The most important is saving lives,” Castaner added from the scene. “During the first clearing operations we’ve found some pockets of air that means we still have some hope of finding and identifying a survivor.”

The first victim — a man — was pulled from the wreckage Tuesday, prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux said, adding that he needed to be identified.

Google Maps images taken in recent months showed the two collapsed buildings, in the working-class neighbourhood of Noailles, had had large visible cracks in their facades.

One of them had been condemned and, with its windows boarded up, was well-secured and in theory unoccupied, officials said.

READ ALSO  Federal Govt Approves N1.8 Billion For Rehabilitation Of Railway Village

 

 

Source: Punch

20 thoughts on “Eight Feared Dead In Building Collapse

  1. Pingback: Free Website
  2. Pingback: look here
  3. Pingback: Alfredo Casero
  4. Pingback: havaianas
  5. Pingback: forum
  6. Pingback: i99 casino
  7. Pingback: lapak qq
  8. Pingback: 카지노사이트
  9. Pingback: judi poker online
  10. Pingback: 카지노사이트
  11. Pingback: judi poker online
  12. Pingback: Study in Uganda
  13. Pingback: 바카라

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *